This week 4 of 5 classes have been with 2 instructors visiting from out-of-town. One is here until the end of January, the other just teaching one day. I enjoy it when “new” folks come to town. There is always something different in the class to take away, some different perception or correction in a posture that makes you go AHA or hmm. Enough to take you out of autopilot and into attention. I like that.
Emmy (senior teacher with Bikram and amazing lady / yogini) said at our training: “Yoga is a thinking person’s exercise”. I am finding this challenge that I am indeed thinking more about the yoga, digging internally, as opposed to being solely focused on external. So I am noticing and ruminating on things teachers say in class – they get me wondering. In honour of our guest teachers this week, here are some things that made me go hmm:
- The most important thing in your life is….(drum roll, please)…YOUR LIFE! (Bikram)
- Effort without tension (in the postures)
- Find the place in the posture where your body is rock hard solid and your mind is relaxed and open, freeze there (stillness)
- We do the yoga on our mat so we can do the yoga outside the room
- Breath, form, depth (in that order)
- I never said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it (Bikram)
I have other ones that come mainly from my training:
- “one more open heart is one more open heart” (going around in a circle, with no end) unknown teacher
- To get better at your practice you need three things: Frequency, Intensity and Precision – Emmy
- Think with your heart, feel with your mind – Craig
Sometimes, unbidden, these deep thoughts, sensations rise up and make themselves known again to me in class, reaffirming knowing, reaffirming life.